Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Week 10 Reflection

Week 10 Reflection

Throughout the class, I have been able to engage with Queer arts and culture through a more historical lens, containing a heavily historically contextualized approach to the art that was lectured upon in class. Though I’ve come to formulate some knowledge on the topic of queer arts and culture in Los Angeles that I hold and through my experiences in Los Angeles, I know that taking this class was definitely a step in the right direction considering that this topic had already piqued my interest due to my past student organization involvements with the on campus LGBTQ community and my internship— which happens to touch on LGBTQ arts, culture, and history quite a lot. 
One take away from this course is the invaluable connections and informal conversations that were sustained and the surrounded the topics of queer art. Witnessing my fellow classmate’s discussion and interaction with the lectures and the artists presented was something raw and genuinely engaged me. It got the the gears in my head churning whenever someone’s interpretation of a piece differed from mine, and it made me wander the endless amount of projected meaning on the pieces presented.

Another part of the class that really stuck out to me was the book “When We Were Outlaws” by Jeanne Cordova. If I recall correctly, when I first started off at my internship, I was in charge of helping screen a documentary that she was featured in. She was among the people in the audience. Several people were excited that she was there. At that time, I hadn’t known who she was or the significance that she carried since I was a younger queer with a limited grasp of Los Angeles LGBTQ  history, so being able to read her memoir became all the more significant to me, especially considering her recent death in January 2016. Reading that memoir became all the more personal to me and really led to a lot of reflection revolving the power and importance of storytelling and lived experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment