Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Final Blog Post

I learned a lot about LGBTQ history in this course. Gay L.A. was an informative piece of text regarding the history of the LGBTQ movement surrounding the city of Los Angeles. Reading the book made me reflect on how far LBGTQ rights have come and that the spaces that we carve out today are inherited from the legacies of those in the past. The fight for queer liberation is a continual struggle. It was inspiring to read Jeanne Cordova's story and to see the similarities and differences in that the queer community faces from then up to the present. One thing that I found really interesting was that UCLA actually held one of the first national lesbian conferences on its campus. I was also really interested in learning about the first queer church being established in LA: the Metropolitan Community Church. I actually did some research about it on my own and I was really surprised to find out that MCC has been able to establish churches in different continents and now has a global presence. In relation to queer arts, I think I have a better understanding of how to read between the lines when analyzing art work since queer arts had a history of being censored. I have definitely gained more interest in art after taking this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment