Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Final Blog Post

It has been a complete joy to be a part of this course. It’s been a great and focused look at queer art and artists in and out of LA. I learned a lot from this class, from Photoshop skills and html code, to Julia Pastrana, to Alex Donis, to Tomás Ybarra-Frausto. I was most struck by the lesson on the exhibit “Hide/Seek: Difference and Desire in American Portraiture”. I didn’t know about this exhibit before the class, and I was very taken and inspired by this exhibit. It was amazing to see so many queer artists exhibited at once, highlighting profoundly the theme of queerness so radically in visual art. It was amazing to be able to witness the curators’ talks and takes on the artworks themselves. It was interesting to see David Wojnarowicz’s video installation of “A Fire in My Belly”, a video experiment which was a chaotic visual experimental take on the AIDS crisis and the intersections of oppression in different fields of identity. This work has remained on my mind because I’m still figuring out my take on the piece, as I find it to be very problematic and colonialist.
I was also really moved and taken by Prof. Lopez’s own works. I really loved listening to the lecture on the poster that she created for the Marcha Lésbica. I didn’t know about the story of the viceroy butterfly and its migration from Mexico to the north. I loved the use of the viceroy butterfly to represent both Mexican identity and queer identity.

Finally, I want to give a quick mention to the Otro Corazón conference. This conference, which was so extremely beautiful and moving, will always stay with me. I got to learn of the incredible works and life of Tomás Ybarra-Frausto, and all that he has done for the Chicana/o/x movement and political history. I had the great privilege of learning of so many amazing artists, political activists, and academics who do incredible work on the intersections of Chicana/o/x identity and queer identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment