Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Week 7 - Artist Selection

I decided to move forward with another artist for my project. I will be focusing on Kelow, a Black rapper from the DMV. Although much of her lyricism and play on words has to do with her relationships with women, I'm mostly interested in her music videos and how she chooses to portray herself. Her work is visual stimulating with vivid colors and images that force our minds to create something out of it. In addition to her music, Kelow is also a painter. Many of her paintings depict positive and reinforcing imagery of blackness. On top of that, she also has a very unique style which draws from both the feminine and masculine. She performs a gender and personal expression that I don't see often. With all her talents combined, one can definitely note that her artistry thrives in all aspects of her life. I personally consider Kelow an all-around artist because it almost seems as if her life is her art, which is a quality that draws me to her work. Below are some and photos of for reference.



No comments:

Post a Comment