Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Artist Selection: Mykki Blanco

For my artist selection, I will be focusing on Mykki Blanco, a Black femme american rapper who is also a poet, and an activist. Blanco is known for being unapologetically queer in both their lyricism and their videos. Inspired largely by the Riot Grrrl movement, Blanco sees their work as an extension of punk despite their genre of music. They recently came out as HIV positive despite concerns for their musical career in doing so. I chose this artist because their work goes beyond that of homonormative notions of queer existence and pleasure. They embody the kind of queer existence that is often rejected or looked down upon by homonormative culture, which is why I absolutely adore them since I believe their work to be a form of empowering the people who identify as those marginalized parts of the queer community.

No comments:

Post a Comment