Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Artist: Roxane Gay


Roxane Gay is a bisexual writer, activist and a hero of mine (and many others). She is a current literary professor at Purdue and she is best known for her 2014 New York Times bestseller Bad Feminist-- also UCLA's common book for the incoming Bruins last academic year. Her work is centralized around feminist theory analysis through her personal anecdotes around her race, gender-identity and sexuality lens. She is current and relate-able to many, such as myself: I found her Tumblr blog post on Milo Yiannopolous' most recent book cancellation linked on my friend's Facebook feed just a couple of days ago. And she is praised by my friends and myself with reason to her eloquent words: This is yet another example of how we are afforded the freedom of speech but there is no freedom from the consequences of what we say.
Her work is powerful. I resonated with this specific op-ed piece she authored for the NY Times one year ago, and have held her words in my head since first reading them: 
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/opinion/sunday/who-gets-to-be-angry.html

No comments:

Post a Comment