Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Week 1: Introduction

Hello everyone,

My name is Eren Ng. I am a fourth year Political Science major hoping to go to law school. I want to get involved specifically with immigration law or LGBTQ rights because of my identity as a QTPOC. In my free time I like to work out, watch anime, go to museums, attend concerts or music festivals, and lay around all day. I hope that through this class I can learn more about art in general as well as art through a queer perspective, something that I think is really underrepresented in all forms of artistic expression. 

In this week's reading of Gay LA: A History of Sexual Outlaws, Power Politics, and Lipsticks Lesbians what really stood out to me was the historical context of gender in Indigenous societies pre-colonialism. It was interesting to learn that there were such different views on gender and the general acceptance of people that were gender nonconforming. In fact, the societies allowed people to choose the gender that they felt best represented them and it was a thing to be celebrated. Homosexual lifestyles, cross-dressing, and gender fluidity were seen as different, but not something to be ashamed of until the influence of colonialism. I also noticed how cross-dressing or gay males were charged with crimes at a higher rate than cross-dressing or lesbian women. It made me think of the notion of hyper-masculinity and the effects it has on gender roles that are still present today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment