Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Katie Lin Introduction Week 2

My name is Katie (Katherine) Lin. I am a fourth year psychology major and LGBTQ studies minor. I am from Simi Valley, a southern California native. I currently intern for It Gets Better, and have interned for various non-profits in the past. I hope to pursue a career within the non-profit industry post-college, despite not knowing what specifically I wish to do. I am particularly excited to take this course, in hopes of expanding my understanding of art and expression, and tapping into a creative side to myself as well. I hope that in learning the historical context of queer art in LA, I will be better equipped to understand our present state and the art that is presently developing from it. With the current political atmosphere, I hope to uncover similar and evolving themes in the art of LA from various eras of our nation, particularly to the art that is formed from the present political atmosphere.

In reference to Part 1 of Gay L.A., what stood out among the events and history discussed was the rather complex relationship between Hollywood, the police, and the rest of Los Angeles. Despite the high class or esteemed status of those who worked in Hollywood, the industry remained under scrutiny by the Los Angeles police department. It is particularly interesting to be aware of the evolution of Los Angeles, especially alongside the evolution of Hollywood and its constituents. While LA remained a haven for anonymity, it grew to also be a target of discrimination, and not even its central stars were exempt. The creation of many political organizations grew out of the disorder and anonymity of Los Angeles and Hollywood, leaving these newly formed political groups incredibly broken and disunited. What remains unclear is to what extent did the pressures and scrutiny on Hollywood during the 30s and 40s contribute to the liberalism, yet at the same time, lacking equal representation within our current Hollywood?

No comments:

Post a Comment