Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Week 2: Introduction

Hello everyone,

My name is Jessica Valles, I am a fourth year in UCLA. I have majored in Chicano Studies for about 3 years. Before that I was an English major, but discovered quite soon that it was not my cup of tea. I am from Echo Park, but am currently living near UCLA. My favorite hobbies/past times are drawing, watching Netflix, or going to Disney. The reason I am taking this class is to continue broadening my knowledge on the LGBTQ community. My favorite classes at UCLA have been Chicano art classes, this one is perfect because I look forward to working on an artist's webpage as well as learning about history of LGBTQ.

A topic that caught my eye in part one of Gay L.A is the movie game. It saddened me that people had to give their true identities in order to maintain their jobs. For famous people, the truth was hidden because the public wanted to see them as heterosexuals. In contrast, those who weren't famous were treated worse. The fact that people's names were printed in the newspaper under a list titled "Guilty Ones" shows how desperate and insensitive the hetero public was to gay people.  Although an interesting thing about these two instances is that one hides and one exposes people.

No comments:

Post a Comment