Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Blog post #1 - Oscar

     Hi everyone, my name is Oscar Arroyo! I am a fourth year psychology major and public health minor. I come from this very small town north of here named Porterville in California's Central Valley (It's an hour south of Fresno and an hour north of Bakersfield). My interests include festival-going, electronic music, binge-watching shows on Netflix, random adventures throughout the city, and dancing. I've always wanted to take an LGBTQ Studies course ever since I got to UCLA, but they always conflicted with some other course. However, I was really motivated to set time aside when I was scheduling classes for this quarter, and that was due to the disabilities studies course I took last quarter. I learned so much in the class, shattered some biases I thought I didn't have, and really grew to appreciate the Disability identity and cultural studies as a whole, so I decided to make it more personal and applicable to me. I guess I lucked out when I was choosing classes because this class focuses on two of my three central identities: Queer and Latino. I'm really looking forward to this class and getting to know more about all of you as well! :)
     As I was reading about 1920s Hollywood, I decided to Google these people and check out there Wikipedia pages and other pages, and something that I thought was interesting was how some of these people who were confirmed as being queer in Gay: LA were not queer in their respective pages. That is not to say that not any of these famous people were confirmed or even treaded around the topic of queerness on these pages. In the book, Robert Lewis, Alla Nazimova's friend is quoted as saying "Hollywood...the dirtiest place in America, was the most eager to keep everything clean." For me, it's interesting to think that by concealing the truth so stringently and for so long greatly continues to influence the perception of these people to this date. What I find more interesting however is, what kind of effect could this have had on their mental health and more importantly their self-identity? These stars constantly had to balance both personas and were always teetering on a self-imposed fine line for fear of public scrutiny and career implosion.

No comments:

Post a Comment