Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Shane Valentine, Self-portrait, 2016


For my self-portrait, I didn't want to follow in the same exact vain as David Wojnarowicz in portraiture in the canon of activism. But what I took from his own portraiture is the vulnerability to place himself in front the lens, whether self-mutalated or buried by the weight of the earth. I sought to discover my own individualism and vulnerability as a cisgender male. Trying to take out the hyper dominance or masculinity documented of the male body. Using transparent materials, colored gels, and using multiple exposures,  as ways to fragment myself, allowing for different variables within the photo to be read. I have this impulsion to imply gender, gender-transgessiveness, gender-materiality, and the performance of feminity within the studio space.

No comments:

Post a Comment