Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Self Portrait, Jun Zhou




"Pan-ic"

This is a self-portrait of me. On the melting face is the “pansexual pride flag” ( three horizontal bars that are pink, yellow, and blue. The pink symbolizes women, the blue men, and the yellow those of a non-binary gender, such as agender, bigender or genderfluid). 
I use the word "Panic" as the name of this photo, for on the one hand, it accidentally shares the same prefix pan- with word " pansexuality", but most importantly I really want to express the mixed feelings when I find myself pansexual. 
It seems like there is a gill grow slowly on my face and enable me to finally drown myself into the ocean like a free whale, however due to the "land attributes", I feel like there always be a strong string tugging my face, my body and my mind to the warm earth .
 It involves the transmutation of fear, excitement, loss, and pain within me. Just like this melting face in the photo, I glance left then right and never know in which side I should stay. Or maybe it is better to embrace this side of me and stay in the status of “ melting" or " blur".
 I am who I am.




No comments:

Post a Comment