Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

When We Were Outlaws Reflection

When reading When We Were Outlaws, I really appreciated reading a text that was strongly from the point of view of a woman, in particular a lesbian feminist activist. I was interested in learning more about the issues in between the lesbian feminists and the Gay Community Service Center, and through that, the women's liberation movement. When reading the previous text, Gay L.A., the sections from that that I was most drawn to were the ones about the lesbian community, and how they felt in relation to the larger picture of the LGBT revolution. Cordova's When We Were Outlaws definitely brings us back to those issues, and how women felt larger over-spoken for, or not as spoken for in the revolution. Growing up, I feel as if a lot has been left out in my education of the history of the LGBT community and revolution, in particular the stories of women. I realized when reading both of these texts that I didn't know as much about lesbians within the history as I did about other figures. It seems as if there has always been an emphasis on gay rather than lesbian. I was also inspired by how brave Cordova was, and all that she went through. It made me wonder about my role in the world today, and how activism is taking place nowadays. I additionally appreciated how intimate the text was, and how I felt connected to Cordova when reading this, all the while looking up to her and admiring her bravery and strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment