Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

David Wojnarowic



Words cannot express how astonished I was when I watched the movie" The fire in my belly"last Friday. It was like a montage, whose scenes though seems to be in chaos, the nonsensical humor or I say, the creation of a kind of strong irony can be felt profoundly. It seems like a sudden emotional outburst: anger, resentment, helplessness, desperation, pain... but when carefully retrospect, it is not difficult to find every scenes are actually planned and premeditated: beggars, slaughtered animals, displaced bodies and the crucified Jesus... and also the strong symbolism— ants were symbols of a human life mechanically driven by its own needs, heedless of anything else. Here they blindly swarm over an emblem of suffering and self-sacrifice.

I had never seen his artworks before, but I think I shall never forget him and his artworks for the whole life. A positive diagnosis for HIV in 1980s didn't leave you with many options: some turned to holistic medicine; Others to activism. Many just returned to their apartments, curled up in the corner, and waited to die. But some, like David Wojnarowicz, who died in 1992 at the age of 37, used art to keep a grip on the world. A bit of a loner, a bit crazy, ferociously brilliant and anarchic, he is the warrior of HIV, and also the warrior of arts.

I like him; I respect him.

No comments:

Post a Comment