Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Stonewall Uprisings

As I mentioned in class, the unique moment of the film that struck me the most was when one of the interviewees mentioned that although Stonewall was a grungy bar, the reason it was so popular was because it was located within the few blocks that felt safe to the LGBT community. I sat back and imagined myself in New York, maybe standing on the corner of a busy intersection, and pictured myself only feeling safe (and even then, not truly safe) within the confines of a few blocks. I couldn't imagine having that feeling within the expansiveness that is New York City. 

I grew up very close to the Bay Area and remember my first time seeing a gay pride parade. I was maybe too young to be around guys wearing only a sparkly thong, but it introduced me to the beauty of love that takes place in so many shapes and forms. It was really interesting for me to see where the parades are today, and especially where they came from and the history and power attached to them. Someone in class mentioned when we were discussing what an uprising really meant, that there had to be a strong group of people who really felt united to one another in order for the uprising to be successful. This statement kind of struck me because when I think of riots or uprisings that I've learned about in history classes, I recall months of preparation and organization. Those dedicated to the cause worked endlessly to coordinate and rally people. The fascinating thing about Stonewall was that there was absolutely no organization leading up to it. There weren't people in meetings or anyone yelling out of a megaphone, there was just one instance that ignited the passions of a whole community of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment