Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Stonewall Uprisings Reflection

      Thinking back on last weeks class and film, I find myself trying not to dwell them too much. It provokes a visceral and emotional reaction, especially because the topics hit very close to my heart. It's difficult not to imagine being born just a few decades earlier and being persecuted simply for my sexual orientation and gender identity, which today seem such a natural and integral part of my being. To hear so called experts medicalize sexualities and vilify them in order to justify the brutality against LGBT people strikes home, especially knowing so many people in the world still clutch onto these toxic ideologies (Think Uganda's anti-homosexuality legislation just a few years back). I'm fortunate to be living in a time where our thinking towards the LGBT community is progressing to a more positive place. When I came out to my parents some six years ago, I wasn't in fear that they'd kick me out, or even disown me from the family, which looking back now is a blessing thanks to the work the gays and allies of Stonewall.
     On a more critical note, I'd like to point out the little credit that was given to the transgender community in the film. While they did touch on the women who were a part of the community, their involvement in Stonewall is not given justice. Marsha P Johnson and Sylvia Rivera, who later founded STAR (Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries) played major roles in the uprisings and political organizations following Stonewall. While it's understandable that these women passed in the early 90's, I believe in giving  credit where credit is due. Further, because trans people have been so marginalized within and outside the LGBT community, I imagine they deserve even more credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment