Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Stonewall Uprising


Before watching the documentary in class, I had already had a brief intro on what the Stonewall Riots were about. I learned about it thanks to a very beautiful friend of mine who constantly reminds me of the importance of learning about LGBT history. Even though I have always known I was gay, I never thought too much about it because most people would never guess it. I have a considerable amount of straight passing privilege and perhaps that is why I have focused so much of my energy on other facets of my identity.

As I was listening to the testimonies of the people that were at the Stone Wall Riots, a rush of adrenaline pumped through my veins. These are the people who have made it that much safer for my not so straight passing partners, friends, and other LGBT brothers and sisters to walk the streets together. The courage that it took to stand up to not just the police but to society as a whole is moving. The passion that these activists hold in their hearts reminded me of why I participate in uprisings and why it is imperative to keep these histories alive. As Isaac Newtown said, we are standing on the shoulders of giants. In order to dismantle current bias discourses on not just the LA or New York LGBT cultures, we need to constantly acknowledge and honor others who have come before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment