Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Friday, January 22, 2016

Stonewall Uprising

To think that at some point in history, my community was seen and treated like a group of "promiscuous animals" flushes me with a sea of emotions. I watched the film on my own and as soon as doctors were providing "diagnoses" I paused the film and thought about my privilege. Even though my mother rejected me and my sexuality, I had the ability to be myself without being completely "ruined" as many as the individuals in the film stated. I knew that society did not accept me entirely, but the hatred and homophobia was not as severe as it was in the past. Human beings were "treated" with ancient procedures like aversion therapy and lobotomies that would only violate basic human rights.

I was very angry and frustrated at all of the discrimination and violence that the queer community experienced, but my heart was touched every time the eyes of the witnesses' gleamed with joy. These beautiful people were ready to fight, they were tired of the injustices and just like they said in the film, there was not a riot, there was an uprising. I had heard about the incidents in Stonewall, but never in this way. Never will I forget that June 28th, 1970 was the day some of the bravest people in history proudly marched through the streets of New York City in order to be humanized. Just imagine carrying a sign in broad daylight that reads "gay and proud" in an extreme heteronormative society? I will forever be thankful to the wonderful souls that decided it was time to be accepted, it was time to stand up and fight because if that had never happened, I would not be able to identify as the person I do now and neither would the rest of the queer community.

No comments:

Post a Comment