Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Stonewall Uprising

In the past, I've learned an extent to the Stonewall "Riots" and the gay rights movement. However, never before this was I able to watch this uprising and how it led up to those events. From what I remember reading, the riots were made to sound very disorganized and violent. Even in the news and media at the time, headlines framed the community with such negative connotation.  In contrast, in the documentary, we were able to see all the love and solidarity that came from the LGBTQ community.

The part in the documentary that struck me the most was the tormenting in clinics and brainwashing  in schools that was implemented. This part was difficult for me to watch without feeling so uncomfortable and disgusted by society. It amazes me to think that people saw this as a mental illness  and did all they could to prevent people from "becoming" this way. It makes me wonder how these children may have felt- discomfort, scared, alone, etc.

My favorite part of the documentary was seeing these individuals come together in one space that allowed them to be free to who they are without feeling judged or discriminated. Overall, being able to watch this documentary was very empowering. It makes me proud to be part of a community that is rooted from these leaders.

This documentary allowed me to see a new perspective. These events in our past have shaped today. Although there are  negative outcomes- having people that still have these beliefs, along with the oppression and discrimination that still exists. However,  I am hopeful because we, as a society, have progressed. Thanks to our leaders, they were able to create a foundation to our rights today.

I am thankful that I go to an institution where I am able to take these classes and meet other individuals, who's stories I can learn from. However, I still believe that there is more that can be done, such as more representation in the media or in our high school history classes.
____
During this past summer I was actually able to visit the Stonewall Inn. At that moment I felt honored to have been able to see it with my own eyes. I was able to imagine what it must have felt like to go there to meet other queer individuals like myself, or even to have been a part of the riots. Looking back now, after seeing the documentary, I feel a deeper appreciation having known more of the context of the uprising.

The picture on the left was taken during the day. The picture on the right was the night of the day that the supreme court legalized same-sex marriage.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot imagine what an honor it must have been to be at the stonewall inn on such a momentous day! I agree about the disorganized narrative that was perpetuated about the "riot" prior to my exposure to this documentary, but the love and solidarity was exactly what the uprising was based on.

    ReplyDelete