Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Fehlman, Araya




My name is Araya (pronounced Uh-Ray-Uh) and I am a junior transfer here at UCLA. I am a Psychology major and LGBT studies minor. Although I initially chose this course because it fulfills minor requirements and was the only one that would fit in my schedule, I am very excited for the books that we are reading and the art aspect of this class. I am not artistic in the slightest, but have found much enjoyment in previous art-related courses I've taken, plus I just love learning new things. My ultimate goal in life is to be a drug counselor, with special focus on LGBT youth and other "outcasts" of society. Though I am heterosexual myself, I've held equality as a dear topic to me since I can remember. As a child, all I wanted to see when I grew up was a world where women, animals, and people of all races, sexual orientations, and religions could live together as complete equals in society. Coming from a background with a family with a wide array of addictions, I knew drug counseling was my ultimate career goal. A lot of those who have suffered from addiction in my family were deemed as outcasts at young ages and it occured to me early on that I wanted to help people overcome their addictions by reminding them of their worth and helping to promote a world where one is not defined by who they love or who they were born as, but by the way they choose to treat others. LGBT youth have some of the highest rates of homelessness and substance abuse, and one day, I would love to see a world where those numbers decline and eventually cease to exist.
I am equally passionate about fighting for a more ethical, humane factory farming system (however, if it were up to me, factory farming wouldn't exist at all), and for stricter laws and punishments for animal cruelty. (I could go on forever, but should probably stop here.)

Overall, I am very excited for this class, being that it's the first LGBTs class I have taken, and I can't wait to gain new perspective and insights regarding art in LA. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment