Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

To(o) Queer the Writer

It's been a while since I resonated with a reading so much that I know that it's something that I want to be keep referring to in my activism and in my ventures to navigate the world as a queer, disabled, woman of color.

I appreciated Anzuldua's defiance to white, middle-class standards and the way those who don't identity as white and middle-class hold ourselves up to and follow these standards. It is important to reflect upon the way our identities and the way people view our identities will influence the way we go about our work, as well as the way people view our work.

One of my favorite paragraphs in the reading was the one on identity. Anzaldua referred to identity as a river -- a process. As much as we put boundaries around our identities and what it means, we have to remember that it's always changing and different for everybody even if you share an identity with them.

So, what does it mean to create artwork or writing as gender, sexual, racial minorities? Why do we have to specify our work as, for example, queer or Chicana? One of the reasons may be because we have to create spaces for ourselves, since existing spaces weren't necessarily created for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment