Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

I am Saúl


How to Take A Proper Selfie
My name's Saúl and I am a first generation Mexican American from Los Angeles. I grew up in Lennox, and in those streets I was introduced to Chicano art and history. My walk home from school always took me down the main block where all storefronts, even liquor stores and alleyways, had murals painted with industrial paints and in bold colors that seemed to almost attack your eyeballs. And yet, these walls served to protect and inform my community. Therefore in examining the correlation between community, family, and art my interest in Chicana/o Studies, as my major, closely ties to an education that is relevant to my personal experiences. Most recently, I declared Art History as a second major, hence my interest in this course.

I remember being eighteen when I first saw John Waters' Pink Flamingos starring Divine, and I could not believe how absolutely fabulous Divine was. Also, I was not certain if Divine was man or woman, and as uncomfortable as that made me, it truly did not matter because it felt good to be watching him on screen. I became obsessed with Divine, and as his most notorious on-screen character would say "I am the filthiest person alive, that's who I am!" I too, would embrace this idea because this was exactly what being gay felt to me at that time. Divine's attack on drag was smart and in-yer-face glamorous, and I love him for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment