Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Dan's Workshop (Extra Credit)

Working in Dan's speed-course is exhilarating, to be sure, but it's also frightening. Revealing parts of yourself in order to produce entertainment is not something I'm very familiar with, as my works usually include fiction, and I've only discussed my queerness in abstract terms when I write. Now, however, I'm being forced (by myself and by the nature of this monologue workshop) to bring my identity to the table. It's terrifying!

I do appreciate the openness that others embrace, and the small, welcoming atmosphere of the workshop. If I had to share my story, before it was fully formed, in front of more than 5 or 6 people, I'm not sure I could have done it. We're still in the process of formulating the structure of our stories, but the free-write exercises that Prof. Guerrero had us try have really opened me up to the idea of economy of the word, and writing as though you're speaking. I do love the idea of using performance as an inextricable link to a queer identity, and I just hope that my monologue will come along to a point that I'll feel comfortable reading it out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment