Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Castro, Giovanna

Hey y'all, my name is Gio and I am a 4th year Design Media Arts major. After taking a class with Professor Lopez last quarter, I wanted to take another one when I heard that she was doing a class based on queer artists, and especially in LA! Queer art is a huge interest of mine so I'm really excited explore and learn new things.

I think an important queer artist was Frida Kahlo. She was a dynamo of an artist, and though she was paralyzed from a terrible accident very young, she still produced many touching and lasting artworks. While she is often put up against her partner, Diego Rivera, she created a legacy all her own. Her influence is still incredibly pervasive today, (as shown by the explosion of Kahlo-emblazoned items you can now buy, but thats another story altogether) and a great source of pride for a queer chicana such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment