Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Reflections on the quarter

As the end of the quarter draws near, I'm reminded of the first day of class when we were asked to write down the name of two queer artists in L.A. and several of us (myself included) struggled to name just one. I couldn't think of one queer artist that was from L.A. Needless to say, it was somewhat embarrassing. As someone born and raised in soCal who enjoys art &art history, I should've been able to name a few no problem. As the quarter progressed and we were asked to pick an artist to research, I still didn't really know who I wanted to research. As I looked through the list Prof. Lopez provided, Susan Gottlieb (a.k.a Phranc) caught my eye most likely because she was a musician as well as an artist. As I continued to research her work, I found that her work made socially commentary while retaining a good sense of humor and fun. As the self-proclaimed "Cardboard Cobbler," Phranc makes everday objects out of cardboard and kraft paper. Some of her most famous works are mid-century Americana, particularly clothing and shoes. Another reason I chose Phranc as my artist to spotlight was because she doesn't have an official website. She does have a blog, but it hasn't been updated in quite a while. I enjoyed being able to create another spot for her work to be noticed. I also loved that we had a chance to work with the Adobe suite to build the site. I had some Photoshop experience, but I had never worked in Dreamweaver. I have already used the skills I learned in lab for other projects in different courses!

No comments:

Post a Comment