Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Monday, December 3, 2012

It's Over Already?

The past 10 weeks have gone by incredibly fast, really. My experience with the website project in our Queer Arts in Los Angeles course is not just one of the things I'm grateful for, but I'm also grateful that it coincided with my very first quarter here at UCLA. What better introduction than that? 
I was lucky enough to have some website/photoshop editing experience coming in, but I did not envision a project such as this, let alone that it would happen so fast. I am sad that this wonderful class is over (I mean it) and hope that the website project becomes a resource for the campus community and beyond. I chose Julio Salgado as my artist and have enjoyed looking at his art much more closely and reading interviews, videos of him etc. I remember very distinctly that my sophomore year at Cal State Long Beach was memorable,  just from the discussions that would ensue with Julio during our Chicana Critical Issues class I knew that he cared deeply for the Chicana/o community and wanted to address queer identity in his art. Years later, I am still pleasantly surprised at the issues Julio continues to raise  awareness for, and how he's succeeded along with his art.  Queer artists have struggled with issues of censorship, violence, hate speech and more. As we've learned this quarter, it's a challenge to display your art without it being damaged or completely destroyed. The website is a permanent archive/teaching tool that I hope continues to educate and entertain in the future. I'm very happy to have been a part of its creation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment