Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Vuelo


Vuelo

Rosie plunged off
the 8th story building
because she wanted
to fly into the sharp-jawed
mouth of the wind
olvidar para siempre
the bodies of old lovers
-cáscaras secas-
needed to erase
the burnt yellow faces
of daughters
she gave away
like used furniture

She wanted Ehécatl
to lick her cold
with dry-ice tongue
wanted to be
translucent fire
of winter’s breath
stinging
wanted to be
blue silk
dress
fluttering
down
ward
clean
white
cotton
sheet
flapping
last
flag
of
surrender.


            What I love about Olga’s poetry and stories are their existence in others realities. It is having a truth that belongs to someone else and a mirror being placed, through words and imagination, into our realities. She places tragedy into syllables, pronouncing fate.
             I have personally always feared falling to my death. My partner has shared that vertigo is not the fear of falling, but the fear of letting yourself go.
            “Rosie plunged off… to fly into the sharp-jawed mouth of the wind,”
            Every time I look down from any high building, thoughts of crushing wind, blowing through me as I feel the break of gravity. Suspension of thoughts, how many seconds before the ground embraces my body.
            “-Cáscaras Secas-” becomes the image of old lovers, a bruised apple that no longer looks appetizing. Of a scab after an open wound on the body. Wanting to pick at it, peel it off knowing it would hurt.
            The reason I chose this piece is because it touches my fear. It pinches my intestines as I feel myself falling with Rosie. I too have wondered how Ehécatl- lord of the wind- would feel as my body went into flight. For the cold wind to burn through me with such force that I become a meteor, a hot piece of space crashing through the atmosphere, on fire, out of this reality and entering another.
            The last flag of surrender.
                       A breath of relief, I’m still in this body. 

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing poem. I think your interpretation is very fluid, especially in the sense that another person can relate. I feel like poem is intended to accomodate many experiences. What I found very interesting is the structure of the poem. As the poem comes to an end the words begin to descend, not only in direction, but also in quantity of words. The formation of the poem is in reference to the content that is initially provided, such as "plunged off", "to fly into the sharp-jawed mouth of the wind", and "olvidar para siempre" they are the first happenings, but they are also measured by a feeling of expression such as an urge or fear of doing something. The stanzas then begin to diminish into single words such as "stinging", "fluttering", "downward", "flapping", and "surrender" which are the words that represent the ultimate outcome of Rosies actions. To surrender is most commonly related to defeat, and going down is to be a failure. However I feel that the term "surrender" indicates an individuals acceptance of their fear so they are no longer restrained from obtaining freedom.

    ReplyDelete