Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Self Portrait

This image is a self portrait of Laura Aguilar. She places herself in a landscape in which she becomes one with nature. Instead of the traditional pose of the female body reclining, she positions herself in a manner  that allows her to blend in with her surroundings. Her body becomes the mountains that border the lake before her and reflect her image. Laura continuously challenges social norm's perception of beauty as an obese, dyslexic, latina, and lesbian photographer and refuses to conform in her art. In this work she represents her body as a landscape, almost as a sculpture, and shows her courage to embrace her body despite what others may think.

2 comments:

  1. The first time I saw this post, I had to stop for a bit. After I looked at it for a while, I realized I loved it. The way that the artist seems so true to herself, standing for her own identity, while still being part of the world, seems so spiritual. To me, this work isn't about her as a person, but her as nature. She herself is part of a whole, and she seems to know this. In fact, she seems so used to the idea, that she looks so natural in the nude in the photo, showing herself as who she wants to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is a beautiful picture. I particularly like the fact that it is in black and white. I think that the lack of color makes the scene even more... organic than it would have been if it had been in color. The way details blend together create such a natural scene, allowing her body to be further incorporated into the environment around her. I also respect her for posing nude for the photo. It takes so much courage to be comfortable in our own skins and she exemplifies that in this photo.

    ReplyDelete