Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Reaction to performance



On Monday, VISA, a transgender sex-worker activist, gave us a show. Needless to say, I don’t think any of us were ready for her. I say “her” because I am not sure what VISA’s preferred pronoun is, yet I remember VISA was described as feminine in actions. 

In the performance of VISA, different subjects came up, such as politics, immigration, and gender expression. The one that stood out for me the most in the performance was the talk on immigration, due to something specific that she said. When she talked about her wish to help people come to the Americas, she said she would happily take them in her vagina. After I heard this, I was slightly taken aback at the idea. Of course, the first thing my mind went to was “Wouldn’t that hurt?” This was followed by “I wonder how many could fit in there and be able to breath?” After these really dumb thoughts, I realized the message of this phrase. I’ve always thought the sexual organs as something very private for each person, so to hear that someone else would use theirs to transport people rightly got me confused. But then I realized that it’s not the sexual organ that is the focus, but how we as a people help those that wish to migrate to a better life. And if this means that people have to hide in vaginas, so be it, as long as it can finally happen. Also, using her vagina for this is empowering the vagina, making it not just a sexual thing, but a weapon, a vehicle, a boat, a new life, a power. It’s not something that you fuck anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment