Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Mosquita Y Mari

"Mosquita Y Mari" was an official selection at Sundance 2012, an official selection at San Francisco International Film Festival, and wins Audience Award for Outstanding Fist U.S. Dramatic Feature Film at OUTfest. MyM is a story of two fifteen year old Chicanas whose innocent friendship grows into a silent love. The film beautifully uses silent moments so important in the Chican@ culture to play at the romance growing between the two young ladies. Furthermore their relationship begins to take a toll on their regular routines because Yolanda's grades begin to fall while Mari's job becomes a hassle. The film reflected various cultural aspects away from religion that directly tugged at my memories of my own life. My family not being very religious I was able to connect to the film in so many ways. I myself had an unspoken first love with a young woman named Maria. After speaking with the filmmaker about this love story she confessed that in her own life the relationship ended prematurely. In my own first love I lost that person in a very abrupt premature manner. This is why I love this film so much, it tells my story too.

2 comments:

  1. "Mosquita y Mari" is indeed a film that in some way or another reflects the circumstances that queer Chicanas face. The Queer and Chicano intersectionality is something that is well-depicted in the film. Many of us have that one girl who we fall in live with, but believe her to be the usual "best friend" when, in fact, it was actually our first love. As I have mentioned before, for me, this film speaks for me and many other queer Chicanas who experience a similar coming out experience. I agree that the film illustrates different cultural aspects, and does not make religion the center of the struggle, but rather the development of the relationship between Yolanda and Mari.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This film is probably one of my recent favorites, (and I am very picky!) There's an air of sincerity that the entire story carries with it. I hope that this encourages more films like it to be made and to reach a wider audience, I think and hope it's going to open conversations around sexuality in families.As for the filmmaking itself, I particularly enjoyed how there were multiple shots throughout that featured the Quinceañera dresses in the windows. The dialogue was also one of my favorite things, Aurora Guerrero captured it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete