Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Karen Anzoategui

Going to class that morning, the guest speaker professor Lopez had planned for us was the last thing I expected to happen. I was sincerely surprised and thought Visa was in the wrong class, especially because Lopez and Gaspar de Alba both acted suprised as well. I thought it was really interesting that Visa used comedy to address certain issues that aren't addressed enough. I strongly feel that transforming something into a comedic show and being in your face about it attracts more attention while getting a message across as well. Visa talked about politics, sexuality, the LGBT community, and immigration in a way that alot of people might find offensive but I applaud her for doing so. She was blunt, honest, and was not afraid to express her opinion and I really admire people who are like that. Her humor and over-sexualized image kept m eentertained and made me really listen to what she was saying. After Visa left, Karen Anzoategui herself talked to us and I saw how passionate she truly is for what she does as a performer and writer. I hope I get the opportunity to see her perform again sometime in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment