Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

When We Were Outlaws


When reading Jeanne Cordova's memoir "When We Were Outlaws", I found myself automatically thinking about how strong-willed and intelligent this woman was. Throughout her struggles she chose not to victimize herself. She took what she learned while growing up and put that into her passion which seems to be political activism. I admire her for putting herself on the chopping blocks so many times for what she believed in. Her goals for the future created such a strong motivation within herself. Along with all of her incredible feats that dealt with activism and her wants and beliefs, I was engulfed in her love story as well. She so vividly explained her feelings for these different women and made me really feel like I was in the romance. That romantic aspect is what made her book so much more interesting and relatable. These two aspects, political activism and romance, created an amazing book that kept me hooked. I do not identify myself as queer, but I found myself really relating to Cordova in all of her struggles and accomplishments.

My first question is how Jeanne Cordova kept herself so calm and collected when she was fired from the GCSC and helped lead a protest.

My second question is did her childhood experiences at any point make her want to give up? To become what her father wanted her to become?

My third question is why was it so hard to commit to only BeJo? 

No comments:

Post a Comment