Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Sunday, October 28, 2012


When We Were Outlaws was definitely a very interesting memoir to read.  Not only did I learned many things that were happening in the 1970s with the gay rights movement, but it was very enjoyable to read how these events affected, and influenced, the author in her struggles as an activist, and her constant fight to earn the right to be who she was.  It's still been such a short time since homosexuality stopped being a crime, and it is very empowering to read a book about someone who lived through a very tense period in which there was so much going on—gay rights movement, Chicano movement, and other events.

My questions for Córdova are:

            1)   In one of the early chapters, you stated the following, “Someday, perhaps even in my own lifetime, gays will be free, I told myself” (51).  What does it mean to you for a gay person to be free?  Do you think that with LGBT issues still happening today, there is still a chance that in your lifetime (or even in our lifetime)  we will eventually be free and have equal rights?

           2)  You mentioned in your novel that you didn’t have a close relationship with our father ever since you came out to him, and that you also did not had communication with him.  How did your relationship with him and your family evolved over time?  Did your parents eventually accepted your identity?

           3) In your book, you mention that you describe yourself as a lesbian feminist.  I would like to know, what is your definition of “feminism”?  I am interested in your response, since many people have their interpretation of what the word means.  I’ve been called a “feminist” when I talk about the oppression of women or when I express how I do not conform to what society expects of me because of my gender.  But I feel like being feminist has to do more than just defending the rights of women or rejecting society’s view of what it means to be a woman

1 comment:

  1. I'm really curious about that last question to. So many variances of what feminism encompasses and to see what Cordova chooses to identify with would definitely give us a deeper perspective about her experiences.

    ReplyDelete