Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Rodnisha Ford

My name is Rodnisha Ford and I am a 4th year at UCLA majoring in Gender Studies (I am also pre-med so I have to do all of the boring science stuff as well). I came to L.A. from small town Fresno California in order to fulfill my dream of becoming a surgeon and eventually opening my own free medical clinics. I strongly believe that healthcare should be a right for all and not just a privilege for those who can afford it.    
            I chose this picture because I love how I look when I wear vest and in this picture I happen to be wearing one of my favorite vest. My background is of the flower bird of paradise. I absolutely love this flower because it symbolizes everything I am. Flowers are often thought to be beautiful and smell nice, but the bird of paradise is much different. It stands out as not the “normal” flower just as I stand out as not the “normal” woman. I see myself as a black lesbian in a world full of straight white women the way I see a bird of paradise in a field of roses. It is drastically different, but its difference makes it beautiful.
            The word I chose is Stella, which means star in Latin; the Latin language has recently become of great interest to me. “Star” is important to me because it is the nickname that was given to me by the pastor of my old church. He named me Star because he said the he, and everyone else around me, could see how brightly I shine, and they can see my great potential. As I continue on this journey of life I am constantly trying to see all the potential that is in me, but when I start to forget how great I can be, I remember the words of my pastor, “Hey there Star, you will achieve greatness”.

1 comment:

  1. Awww aunty baby its a good thing to speak out I will always love u lesbie or straight at the end of the day its ur life n u need to be you to be happy and if I wasnt married to ur uncle u World definetly be my Type hahahahaha lol im jk I love u and u always stood out n shined n everything u did

    ReplyDelete