Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Questions for Jeanne Córdova


I really enjoyed reading Jeanne Córdova’s When We Were Outlaws. As of right now I haven’t read all of it, but I have read a good portion. As a queer person, I like learning about the struggles that people older than myself have had to fight against and overcome because it makes me even more grateful for all that I have today, much of which is due to the people who fought so hard and made the queer community more visible to the world at large.

Questions:

My first question was sparked by the interaction with Angela Davis in Chapter 2.  You asked if she would be willing to say she was gay if she were actually gay. I looked into it and saw that she did eventually come out. Do you believe a person who is a celebrity in some way, whether in film or academia or another medium, has the obligation to be out nowadays? Is there a difference between people who live openly but don’t talk about their personal lives (and maybe advocate for queer issues) and people who deny that they are gay because they think it will advance their career in some way?

My second question has to do with your time working at The Free Press and/or The Tide. I’m a writer and I’ve just started writing and putting it out there for the public to read. What were the benefits of working at such a publication? Do you think that you had more freedom as a writer in such a position? Were you able to cover more issues that you cared about and affected you personally than if you had been writing anywhere else? Were there any other publications at the time to which you would have liked to contribute?

No comments:

Post a Comment