Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Exhibition in Kerckhoff Hall


I went to the professor's art exhibition in the Kerckhoff Art Gallery. Right when I walked in the first thing I noticed was the intense colors used. They all caught my attention. The color palette really meshes well with the intensity of what was painted. The title of the exhibition was “Revolutionary Love” and from that I could tell the pieces were going to be very inspiring and different from the norm. All of the pieces were really interesting. A pattern I saw in the pieces was the recurrence of the monarch butterfly. Another recurrence was the painting of women. It seemed like they were the central theme.

One piece that really caught my eye was the one with the mermaid with two fins who is holding a monarch butterfly in her hands. The positioning of her hands and her soft facial expression creates a sense of regal-ness and serenity. Looking at this piece brought me peace. The rose above the mermaid adds a contrast of color, but makes the piece more complete. I just love everything about this piece. Many pieces had the same colors that were eye-catching, but this piece in particular really spoke to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment