Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Friday, October 5, 2012

Emily Kunstler

Hello, my name is Emily Kunstler and I am a senior at UCLA.  Majoring in Gender Studies, with a minor in LGBT Studies, I look forward to graduating in March 2013.  I love studying queer history.  I am a sister of Gamma Rho Lambda, UCLA’s LGBTQQIAA and progressive sorority.  A transfer student from west Los Angeles, I plan on attending law school after I graduate.

This photo of me was taken when I helped a friend with a charity-modeling photo shoot.  The background is one of my favorite phoenix images, a mythical animal I greatly identify with.  A few years ago, I created a paper collage of images of the ocean, flames, and this same phoenix rising from it all.  The collage remains one of my favorite art pieces I created.  The image of a phoenix rising from the ashes inspires and motivates me.

For my self-portrait, I choose the word ‘queer’ to describe myself.  As my personal and political identity, I have truly grown into it and it was the first word that came to mind as a descriptor.  Queer is who I am, how I live, and who I love.  I choose a shade of purple, my favorite color, as the text color.

No comments:

Post a Comment