Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Antonio Rael


Antonio Rael is a Latino artist from Los Angeles. He transferred from Pasadena City College to the University of California, Los Angeles where he received his Bachelor’s Degree in Art. He has experience teaching art and was also a makeup artist at M.A.C Cosmetics and Estee Lauder. Rael is known for his use of bright, bold colors and unique imagery, which is primarily what caught my eye. His work reminded me of Frida Kahlo’s work, in which they both paint regular, everyday things but add a twist to it to make it convey a particular emotion or message. I think Rael’s art is influenced by Frida because he painted a portrait of her, which is the image I chose to post up. A lot of his work, actually, involves a depiction of some type of cultural icon or image, such as La Virgen de Guadalupe, calaveras, suns, altars, crosses, churches, etc. I love art that has a strong connection with the Latino culture and I feel as if Rael’s work encompasses a lot of this. I also saw that he paints a lot of flowers, trees, and nature images in general, so I am interested in further researching him and finding out what this means to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment