Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Ana De La Torre



My name is Ana De La Torre and I am a 4th year Political Science Major with a minor in Chicana/o Studies. I am a native Angelino (from Montebello) and love everything about Los Angeles. Aside from my love for LA, I take pride in my Mexican roots because both my parents are from Zacatecas, Mexico. I always get a kick out of people who meet me for the first time and are surprised that I can speak Spanish because people seem to think I am a different ethnicity. I enjoy everything from having a crazy night out with friends to staying in watching scary movies while eating junk food. I am not quite sure what I see myself doing in the future but I hope to have a career that gives back to underserved communities and makes me happy at the end of the day.

The picture I chose was taken this past summer in Tenochtitlan when I went to go visit Mexico City for the first time. I like this picture because I look really happy and at that time my family was going through a tough time with the death of my uncle. Having the opportunity to travel to Mexico City made me appreciate life that much more because we truly do not know what day can possibly be our last. The background image I am choosing is turquoise stones. Aside from turquoise being one of my favorite colors, this stone in particular symbolizes strength. My family has gone through a lot and I have always admired the amount of strength each and every one of my family members posses. The word I have chosen is "fuerte" because the strength I have to take on whatever life throws at me stems from my family and I am here at UCLA because of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment