Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Alfredo de Batuc


Alfredo de Batuc is a Mexican born American painter, residing in Los Angeles. He is perhaps most famous for his mural depicting Dolores del Rio.  The influence of surrealism is quite visible in his work. He is also greatly influenced by Rene Magritte, Frieda Kahlo, and Diego Rivera. He was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome, which is an auto-immune disease targeting the muscles in the body. Sadly, for de Batuc, the most affected part of his body were his hands, making it impossible for him to maintain controlled movement in his hands and paint. 

As tragic as de Batuc's plight may seem, he has a prolific portfolio and is an inspiring artist. As I was looking through specimens of his work online, I noticed certain recurring themes and characters. The sun and the moon seem to be very significant to de Batuc. I have always been mystified by the relationship between the sun and the moon and the symbolism they carry. Looking through his work, I reminded of a lyric from song "Do You Realize??" by The Flaming Lips, "You realize the sun doesn't go down/It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round." These lines put his work and his debilitating disease into perspective in a way.

Other than the symbolism in his paintings, I am drawn to the form in his paintings. De Batuc achieves an interesting texture in his work; I repeatedly found myself trying to touch my computer screen to feel the paintings. Unfortunately for my selfish purposes this artist, it seems, already has a website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment