Please visit the Fall 2012 class website project at Queer Arts Los Angeles Website.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Adriana Alvarez

My name is Adriana Alvarez.  I am a 4th-year Chicana/Chicano Studies Major and LGBT Studies Minor.  I was born in Jalisco, Mexico and came to the U.S. when I was 8 years old.  I have four brothers and fpru sisters, and I am a first-generation student.  My original photograph was taken at Disney World in Orlando, Florida.  I was 17 years old at the time, and a high school Senior.  I selected this photograph because it was the only one I could find of my whole face.  I rarely take photos of myself, which explains why it was somewhat difficult to find a good one.  The image I selected for the background is a picture of the Virgen de Guadalupe, and the word I chose is "shy".  I love the Virgen because it is an image I grew up with, which means that it means more than just the religion I grew up with.  It makes me remember my childhood and how my mother would pray to her all the time.  I have also come to learn more about her and what she represents, which have made me admire her more.  As for the word, I chose "shy" because that's usually the word people who know me use to describe me.  I do consider myself shy at times, so I just thought it was the best word I could choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment